Friday, February 16, 2024

Herbarium/Sea Life/Other: Contact Prints

Hi! My name is Jayden Thompson and I am a third year MAP student pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts in printmaking and photo-based art. I haven’t always been in art though, I started out in science, pre-med. So getting to revisit the science wing of the university as while as work with many different types of specimens was fun!




“Dropped Sea Stars”

My pieces also include personal pressed flowers. 


Personal Pressed Flowers-Bleached

Personal Pressed Flower

Personal Pressed Flowers-Bleached & Toned

For two of them I toned the prints afterward, bleaching both and soaking one of them in black tea. 


Dr. Mel Hart and the Faculty of Science allowed us to pick samples from the George F. Ledingham Herbarium and sea creatures from the Biology Department to make our contact prints for this installation.





I am so grateful to have this experience and learn from my classmates and Risa. This class has been so different than my other photography classes but are similar to my other studio print classes, so it feels familiar.  Getting to work with talented artists while all learning new processes and techniques is an experience I encourage everyone to do! So highly recommend taking this class next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cyanotype Final Installation

 Hello everyone, I'm Nico Inocalla. I'm finishing up my bachelor's degree in Visual Arts in Fall 2024. Learning cyanotype not on...